Wednesday, May 14, 2008

A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man

George Bush, in an interview with Yahoo News/Politico --

Q Mr. President, we know you're a man of intense faith. And I wonder, what was a moment in this room over the past eight years when you needed that most?

THE PRESIDENT: Michael, I'd say daily. I mean, part of the faith walk is to understand your weaknesses and is to constantly try to embetter yourself and get closer to the Lord. And that's a daily occurrence. Obviously there's been some tough moments in here. When you know that somebody lost their loved one as a result of a decision that I made, that's a tough moment. If you're a faithful person you try to empathize with the suffering that that person is going through. On the other hand, there is a knowledge that the good Lord can comfort during these moments of grief. And that's what I ask for in my prayer.


Besides his unusual usage (embetter), note that his application of faith is feeling sorry for other people but not questioning himself. It's faith in himself.

No comments: