Thursday, February 02, 2006

And now a word from Bono

President Attends 54th Annual National Prayer Breakfast
Hilton Washington Hotel
Washington, D.C.

THE PRESIDENT: ... You know, I was trying to figure out what to say about Bono -- (laughter) --

BONO: Careful. (Laughter.)

THE PRESIDENT: And a story jumped to mind about these really good Texas preachers. And he got going in a sermon and a fellow jumped up in the back and said, "Use me, Lord, use me." And the preacher ignored him, and finished his sermon. Next Sunday he gets up, and cranking on another sermon. And the guy jumps up and says, "Use me, Lord, use me." And after the service, he walked up to him and said, "If you're serious, I'd like for you to paint the pews." Next Sunday, he's preaching, the guy stands up and says, "Use me, Lord, use me, but only in an advisory capacity." (Laughter.)

So I've gotten to know Bono. (Laughter.) He's a doer. The thing about this good citizen of the world is he's used his position to get things done. You're an amazing guy, Bono. God bless you. (Applause.)


Bono will have a few more words, at the same hotel, in his speech tomorrow.

No comments: