Wednesday, September 07, 2005

An old Britpopper reflects on New Orleans

A downbeat but loving assessment of the city's past and prospects in the Times of London today from Kinks frontman Ray Davies, who was shot in the city last year. A couple of quick highlights:

During my initial week-long stay in hospital and lengthy recuperation, I observed first-hand the bankruptcy of the New Orleans health system. Several doctors who treated me actually apologised for the low standard of healthcare in Louisiana. Even so, they gave me the best of what they did have, for which I am grateful ... When I was last in New Orleans, I was driven around the city by a friend who pointed out the pump houses that seemed antiquated to me even then ... But the reality is that without its music New Orleans would have been a forgotten city long ago. The music of the American South inspired me and helped to shape me as a musician ...

I owe as much to music of the Southern states as I do to the British music that inspired me. If New Orleans is allowed to die, a crucial part of the world’s musical heritage will disappear ...

Whatever we think of George W. Bush we cannot take it out on the poor and needy in Louisiana and Mississippi. (He won’t be there in four years — they will.)

When I left last year I forgot to put the padlock on my bike. Whoever took it, I pray that they get to ride it around the French Quarter again soon.

No comments: