Monday, September 01, 2008

Be careful about what becomes an issue

Laura Bush this morning on ABC's Good Morning America --

Q You've had a chance to meet Governor Palin in the past.

MRS. BUSH: That's right.

Q Tell us what you know about her, and what you think she brings to the ticket.

MRS. BUSH: Well, I'm thrilled that she's on the ticket. I'm getting my wish -- I'm going to get to vote for a Republican woman for vice president this time, and I'm so excited about it.

...

And then, of course, she has the experience of raising five kids while she has had these jobs, and I think for a lot of people, a lot of women especially, we look at her and we admire her, the way she's lived her life. She comes from a state where people are strong, and a Western state, that state of Alaska, that produces really strong women, particularly. And I like her good, sound judgment and her good, common sense. I think that's what she brings to this ticket.


And on CNN --

Q So is that a suggestion that at some level she has more experience than Senator McCain?

MRS. BUSH: Well, I think she has a different experience. She's the mother of five kids. She's doing that while she's worked. She was pregnant when I was last with her at the National Governors Association and since had that baby. I just have a lot of admiration for her, and I think she brings a judgment and a common sense to this that is just terrific.


[context for the Bristol Palin situation here and here]

No comments: