Tuesday, June 24, 2008

The dude who cleans the pool is great too

George Bush is hosting President of the Philippines Gloria Arroyo today. You'd think the lead topic in the brief press availability would be the typhoon/ferry disaster. George Bush instead wants to talk about how the White House chef is Philippino --

And I reminded the President [Arroyo] that I am reminded of the great talent of the -- of our Philippine-Americans when I eat dinner at the White House. (Laughter.)

PRESIDENT ARROYO: Yes.

PRESIDENT BUSH: And the chef is a great person and a really good cook, by the way, Madam President.


From there, a hasty segue to the actual disaster, including this --

Some are wondering whether or not their loved ones will, you know, reappear.

The event closed as follows --

PRESIDENT ARROYO: Thank you, thank you. Mr. President, with your permission, I'd like to address our countrymen in my own native language. (Speaks in Tagalog.)

PRESIDENT BUSH: I couldn't have said it better myself. (Laughter.)


Furrin languages are funny!

No comments: