Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Packing steel

Dick Cheney carries a knife. It's true. Interview with ABC News (the same interview that may get him an overseas indictment for war crimes). The context is that they are in his office in the Old Executive Office Building, next to the White House --

THE VICE PRESIDENT: Well, I don't know. That's a beautiful desk. But this one that replaced it was -- I think Teddy Roosevelt was the one who originally acquired it.

Q When he was Vice President?

THE VICE PRESIDENT: Well, when he was President.

Q When he was President?

THE VICE PRESIDENT: Yes. And it's been used by a number of Presidents. And of course, it's been the desk of the Vice President in the Ceremonial Office here, really -- in one of these drawers -- which one is it? Yes, this is it. It's got the names and signatures of a lot of the Vice Presidents. Here's Harry Truman, George Bush -- and they've got the dates they had it. Truman signed it in 1965, obviously long after he'd been Vice President. Mondale, Dan Quayle. I can't read it -- oh, Rockefeller, Nelson Rockefeller.

Q Well, your signature is not in here yet.

THE VICE PRESIDENT: Mine is not in there yet.

Q I've got a pen if you want to do it right now.

THE VICE PRESIDENT: No, I think we're going to have a little ceremony --

Q Oh, okay. I thought we could take the opportunity.

THE VICE PRESIDENT: Well, I actually brought my jack-knife here, I could carve it up. (Laughter.)

No comments: