Sunday, February 18, 2007

God wills it

At National Review's The Corner, Kathryn Jean Lopez has one example on top of her mind in discussing how candidate theology is off-limits from the pundits --

But when was the last time a Catholic (John Kerry? Ted Kennedy?) was asked by a mainstream reporter: "You believe you receive the body and blood of Christ during Communion. Do you consider yourself a cannibal?..." I don't think theology-related questions should be off limits (and how candidates respond to odd questions is always revealing, frankly...), but it's a curious thing to watch.

She later elaborates that it would be helpful to the man "who will have to continue this war" to have a belief in God. Yet one might have thought that in terms of its potential for creating policy disasters, transubstantiation would come down the list when there's a President who says --

I believe that God wants everybody to be free. That's what I believe. And that's been part of my foreign policy. In Afghanistan, I believe that the freedom there is a gift from the Almighty. And I can't tell you how encouraged I am to see freedom on the march.

The unexplored issue of a president who claims to (1) know God's will and (2) be in the process of implementing it.

No comments: