Sunday, May 07, 2006

Get that man a job in the commentary booth

George Bush, in an interview with a German magazine, reaches for the cliches:

Q Are there things that bother you about the Germans? And are there things that you envy about the Germans?

THE PRESIDENT: I am -- look, I mean, Germans have always been incredibly efficient, capable businesspeople, and when they make a product, it is always of the highest of quality.


More seriously, his description of his office:

It's a shrine to democracy. And we treat it that way. When people walk in here, they -- they don't come in here in bathing suits and flip-flops. They come in here dressed like they'd come to a shrine.

A shrine that might be haunted:

The interesting thing about Washington is that they want me to change -- they being the -- and I'm not changing, you know

And his description of his job description on 9/11:

And so I would say the toughest moment of all was after the whole reality sunk in and I was trying to help the nation understand what was going on, and at the same time, be empathetic for those who had lost lives.

The leader as father. But not the soccer Dad:

And, of course, my team [in the World Cup] is the U.S. team. They tell me we've got a good team. Now, whether it's good enough to win it all, who knows?

No comments: