Friday, June 01, 2007

Leader of the free world

One could pick just about any set of extended George Bush utterances to illustrate someone completely out of his depth. Here's a section of his remarks to the foreign press before his trip to Europe for the complete waste of time that is the G8 summit --

I'm looking forward to two things in Italy -- obviously seeing His Holy Father. Sometimes I'm not poetic enough to describe what it's like to be in the presence of the Holy Father. It is a moving experience. And I have not been in the presence of this particular Holy Father. Obviously, three visits with the last great man, and I'm looking forward to this. I'm looking forward to hearing him. He's a good thinker and a smart man. I'll be in a listening mode.

And then Prime Minister Prodi, with whom I've had a long relationship. I knew him when he was the head of the EU. I can remember, fondly remember riding my mountain bike as hard as I could as he was jogging along the beaches in Georgia, needling him on the way by -- a sign of close friendship. We've got a good relationship. He's having to make difficult decisions in Afghanistan and I hope my visit will help boost his courage in doing the right thing in Afghanistan.


UPDATE: It got worse in the Q&A. Has anyone told him what "catholic" means? --

I believe [Pope Benedict] believes -- look, I don't want to put words in his mouth -- I hope he believes in the universality of freedom, because I certainly do. In other words, freedom is not just a Western ideal. It's just not the ideal that some people -- it's universal in application. I will remind him of my firm belief that freedom is not only universal, but history has proven democracies tend not to war with each other, and that the best way to yield the peace, something I long for, is to help people become free.

I hope to get him talking. He's a sound thinker. I've read one of his works, and I'm looking forward to hearing this good, decent, honorable man share some thoughts with me. And I go in open-minded, and I'm willing to listen.


Which work has he read? The Regensburg speech?

And, he offered the Germans advice on wood --

Wouldn't it be remarkable when we have a breakthrough to develop fuel to run our automobiles from wood chips? You got a lot of wood in Germany. I'd be glad to share that technology with you.

FINAL UPDATE: If you have the fortitude, Holden has collected more of them.

No comments: