Tuesday, June 05, 2007

The real hero

So apparently the Leader of the Free World is himself a victim --

In my second inaugural address, I pledged America to the ultimate goal of ending tyranny in our world. Some have said that qualifies me as a "dissident president." If standing for liberty in the world makes me a dissident, I wear that title with pride. (Applause.)

That may be the most twisted and narcissistic claim to bravery that has ever been made.

UPDATE: In the same speech, Bush said --

Still, some argue that a safer goal would be stability, especially in the Middle East. The problem is that pursuing stability at the expense of liberty does not lead to peace -- it leads to September the 11th, 2001. (Applause.)

In other words, the claim that US policies led to 9/11 -- the same claim that when made by Republican presidential candidate Ron Paul was distorted by the Fox News/Giuliani crowd into the emotive claim that US brought 9/11 on itself.

No comments: