Saturday, July 14, 2007

You know that she's no good

Barbara Amiel, aka Lady Black, in what is apparently an old quote dug up by the Telegraph but no less apt for her current situation with her husband facing double-digit years in Club Fed (or rather less in a Canadian slammer if he can get his citizenship back) --

My husband is very rich, but I am not … I have been a bitch all my life and did not need the authority of money to be one, ...

I am a north London Jew who has read a bit of history. This means I know this: in a century that has seen the collapse of the Austro-Hungarian, British and Soviet empires, reversal of fortune is the rich bitch's reality. One might as well keep working and have the family's Vuitton suitcases packed.


UPDATE: Monday's print edition of the New York Times had the Amiel quote but with the historical identity bit dropped, and the quote doesn't appear at all in the online version of the article.

No comments: